Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Day-Day, by L. N. Cronk


David and Laci are back, this time as young newlyweds.  They move to Mexico so that Laci can begin missionary work, and the young couple longs to start their family.  But when they suffer a series of traumatic blows, David begins to seek out God's will for their lives, and finds an answer was staring him in the face all along.

This is the second book in the Chop Chop series, and let me tell you, it is a major tear jerker.  I wept, I mean really wept, as I read this book.  I know so many women that have suffered through various fertility issues, so this book really hit home for me.  I love that Cronk does not shy away from putting her characters through a lot of trials, because that is how life really is.  Christians face so many trials, sometimes with grace and humility, sometimes with anger and fear.  It is nice to see this represented in Christian fiction; it makes the stories so much more relatable.  Fertility issues are not easy to tackle, so I applaud the author for doing so with tenderness.

I felt like the story was so real.  It sounded like real people talking, having conversations I have heard my friends have time and again.  I think Cronk has done a fantastic job of creating reoccurring characters to whom readers become endeared.  Each part of their story reveals new, fresh sides to the characters, so that we want to keep reading, so as to see where the story takes us.

I think this story, and this series, will greatly appeal to most Christian fiction readers.  Because the books are relatively free from any inappropriate content, save some tough issues, I think they would be appropriate reading for young adult readers looking to transition into more adult books.  These topics are tough, but I think writing about them, particularly from a perspective of faith, is so necessary.

I received a review copy courtesy of the author.



If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

1 comment: