Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Into The Darkest Corner, by Elizabeth Haynes

When Catherine meets Lee, she feels like she hit the lottery.  He is everything a woman could want, smart, caring, sexy, and totally crazy about her.  Totally crazy.  But soon, totally crazy becomes completely obsessive and possessive, and eventually abusing.  Catherine is lucky to have escaped, and her experience pushes her deep into the world of obsessive compulsive disorder.  When she learns the Lee is being released from prison, her fears begin to take over her life and color her reality.  So what is true, what is real, and who is to be trusted?

I have always contended that the scariest stories of all contain no supernatural monsters; instead, the scariest stories are those about the monstrous sides of mankind.  This book is a prime example.  This book was completely riveting in every single aspect.  First off, I loved the character of Catherine.  She is so  much stronger than she realizes, and I enjoyed seeing her grow through her journey.  It was also quite interesting to me to watch her open herself back up to others, learning once again how to relate to the world and people around her.  I found her thought processes fascinating, and have to admit at times I was unsure if her version of reality was the truth.

Similarly, I loved the storytelling in this novel.  For a large portion of the book, we switch time frames from Catherine's past relationship with Lee to her present dealings with all the fallout.  I found this to be a very helpful storytelling technique, and it helped keep the timeline straight for me.  Often the improper use of this technique can confuse the story, but in this case it is very well done.  I found myself feeling terrorized at a few points in the book, the fear and the darkness was that beautifully conveyed.  Through all the terror, I was unable to stop reading.  In a word, I was hooked.

Steadfast readers of thrillers will like it, though may find it a bit predictable.  As an occasional reader of thrillers, however, I simply loved it.  While not the most original storyline, it was well written and engaging.  I think it certainly will have mass appeal, and makes for a great summer read.

I received a review copy courtesy of TLC Book Tours.  See the rest of the tour here.

 tlc logo.png
If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

3 comments:

  1. My husband read this one and said it was really good. Here's the link to his review if interested: http://www.ourstack.blogspot.com/2012/06/into-darkest-corner-by-elizabeth-haynes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I don't generally read thrillers so I'm sure this one would surprise the heck out of me!

    So glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only read thrillers that don't have a supernatural element. I love really creepy books like this one -- I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete