Thursday, July 12, 2012

Enchantments, by Kathryn Harrison

Life is not easy for the daughter of Rasputin, particularly not once he has been murdered. So when Masha and her sister are sent to live with the Romanov family, she thinks perhaps things may get a bit calmer.  She is charged with keeping the heir, Aloysha, company, but his thoughts turn to romance.  The tsar is forced to abdicate, and it becomes apparent that the Romanov's are in danger.  So what will this mean for Masha?

This book was just ok.  It is rare that I have a total lack of strong feelings for a book, but this time, all I can really say is that it is just ok.  I found the characters to be a bit flat, despite the fact that they were mostly based on actual historic figures. I just found most of the book incredibly unbelievable.

In terms of the writing, while the prose and literary form we actually quite good, I had a real problem with the nonlinear storytelling.  It did not flow, and made for a confusing, stilted read.  All the pretty words in the world do not fix the problems with the storytelling.

I think there could have been a good story here.  Actually, I think there is a good story here, one that has already been told, in other, better books.

I received a review copy of this book as part of the Amazon Vine program.



If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment