Tuesday, June 21, 2011

MacArthur, America's General, by Mitchell Yockelson

MacArthur: America's General (The Generals)At times, MacArthur was the most popular man in America, and at times the least.  But there is no disputing he was dedicated to serving this country, and dedicated to the military.  Having come from a famous military family, everyone expected success from young Douglas.  But they got was more than success, it was excellence.

So, I am not really all that interested in the military, but I received this book in error, so I decided to go ahead and read it.  I am supremely glad I did.  It seemed like in high school history classes, we never got past WW I, or if we really pushed it, WW II.  I was happy that this book covered some areas of American history with which I was unfamiliar.

Also I liked that this book touched on MacArthur's personal life, both in his youth and his elder years.  Students certainly never hear a lot of personal information about historical figures, so this was pretty refreshing.

As I mentioned, I am not all that into military books or military history, but for someone who is, I think this book would be a great addition to their library.  Similarly, this would be great for a high school student or home school student to use to supplement history curriculum.  It was not a difficult book to read, which would make it a good fit for high school readers.

I received a review copy of this book courtesy of the publisher.


I review for BookSneeze®

1 comment:

  1. I love biography, especially of great historical characters, so this looks interesting to me.

    Be sure to enter my Soap'n'Such Giveaway if you haven't already. :-)

    ReplyDelete