Monday, August 1, 2011

Doctor Janeway's Plague, by John Farrell

Doctor Janeway's Plague

The Rev. Doctor Janeway appears to be middle aged, but appearances can be deceiving.  When his cousin Miriam shows up in Massachusetts to confront him about his past, he pulls her in to his web of deceit and manipulation.  People begin dying, golem like creatures roam the streets, a star in the heavens is sending out radioactive rays, and those investigating Dr. Janeway cannot fathom what they are finding out.

I will be the first to admit, I am not a huge fan of science fiction, and I rarely read it.  I think my unfamiliarity with the genre actually served me well in the instance of this book, because I really did not know what would happen, and was compelled to keep reading at any cost.  I could not stop reading because I did not know where the story was going, and I wanted to see what would happen.  I really liked the plot; it seemed well researched and intense.  With the astronomical aspects of the plot, I was a little lost, as I know very little about astronomy.  However, readers can fully appreciate the story without having knowledge of astronomy.

There are a lot of characters in the book, but I found them well developed, and all contributed to the furthering of the story.  Throughout the story there does seem to be actions and themes that at first may seem a bit repetitious but in the end, it does serve a purpose, and helps deliver a bit of a plot twist.

All in all, I am glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and read a book from a genre I normally would not try.

I received a review copy courtesy of the author.
If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment