Wednesday, August 3, 2011

500 Acres and No Place to Hide, by Susan McCorkindale

500 Acres and No Place to Hide: More Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl

We have all heard the old saying "you can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl", right?  Well, Susan pretty much epitomizes that saying.  After her husband convinces her to leave her well paying, prestigious job in New York, and move to a farm in Virginia, Susan has some trouble adapting.  She wears designer heels to do farm work, and deals valiantly with some serious family issues.  And she makes her life work for her as best as she can.

This book was so funny, heartwarming, and endearing, I cannot imagine anyone not loving this book.  Susan had me laughing and crying.  She writes in a way that is very descriptive, but the descriptions are a little unusual, and it serves to keep the reader quite engaged.

While the book is quite funny, there are some really serious issues with which Susan and her family deal.  She does so with levity, which makes them all the more heartbreaking.  It feels more like I am reading a very long email from a very good friend, than a book about someone I do not know.  Susan leaves every bit of her heart on the page.

This book is a follow up to a prior book by the author, which I unfortunately have not read.  However, this book completely stands alone, as the author does a good job of summing up how her life ended up where it did.  I am sure the first book was great, but I did not need to read it to fully appreciate this one.

I received a review copy from the publisher.
If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

2 comments:

  1. Tiffany,

    I'm thrilled you enjoyed 500 Acres and No Place to Hide! I'd love to meet you and your readers at one of my signings all of which are listed under "Appearances" at www.susanmccorkindale.com.

    This Sunday, Aug.7th at 3pm, I'll be at Book Revue in Long Island, and on Wed. September 7th, at 7pm, I'll be at Barnes and Noble in Georgetown. Again, would really enjoy meeting you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany,
    I'm thrilled you enjoyed the book! Please join me at one of my readings. All are listed under "Appearances" on my web site. This weekend I'll be at Book Revue (Huntington, Long Island, Sunday, 8/7 at 3pm), and in September I'll be at Barnes and Noble in Georgetown (Wed., 9/7 at 7pm). Thank you again!
    Susan McCorkindale

    ReplyDelete