Monday, November 22, 2010

Deadly, by Julie Chibbaro

DeadlyPrudence Galewski is a young lady growing up in early 1900s New York, when a rash of unexplained typhus cases crop up.  Prudence gets a job working for the Health Department helping to investigate the cause of the outbreaks, and helps to track it down to an Irish immigrant worker named Mary Mallon.  But how in the world can they prove their theory?

I must say I thought this book was quite clever, an intricate weaving of fact and fiction.  Clearly, many of the characters in this book are real historical figures, but much of the timeline and details were created by the writer.  And I love the creation of the character of Prudence.  I found her voice to be quite honest, and at times heartbreaking.

I love historical fiction written for young adults.  I continue to assert that if historical fiction for young adults were well written, more young adults would be interested in history.  This is a perfect example of how a good story can really pull kids into history.  In short, I loved it!

A traveling review copy of this book was made available by Traveling ARC Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment