Monday, October 4, 2010

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, by Laurie Viera Rigler

Confessions of a Jane Austen AddictCourtney Stone is addicted to the writing of Jane Austen.  So, when her engagement is broken, she nurses herself with high doses of vodka and Austen.  Then, one day, Courtney wakes up in the body of Jane Mansfield, a 19th century woman living in Regency England.  Knowing that no one will believe the truth, Courtney opts to try to impersonate Jane for the time being, while she figures some things out.  Things like how did she get here, and how will she get back?

While I would not label myself an Austen addict, I am quite a fan, so this book really appealed to me.  It did not disappoint.  This is like Jane Austen meets VH1 Behind the Music.  You get the read story of what life was like for a Regency woman.  I absolutely loved this concept, and thought it was really clever.  Sometimes, concepts like this do not translate well to paper, but Laurie Viera Rigler did an excellent job.  That being said, I think a movie adaptation would be brilliant.

I loved the character of Courtney in Jane's body.  It was like there were 3 characters, Courtney, Jane, and Courtney-Jane.  I really enjoyed watching her journey of discovery, learning not only about the reality of Regency, but having epiphanies about her modern life as well.

All in all, this was a great read, the perfect mix of chick lit styling and classic literature references.  I am anxiously awaiting the sequel.

A touring review copy of this book was made available by Crazy Book Tours.

4 comments:

  1. Great write up! I also thought it was a great read when I got it from the Crazy Book Tours -- and it would be a fun movie, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is this kinda like 'Lost in Austen'? Sounds like a fun read. and a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very similar concept Cranberry, only instead of ending up in an Austen story, she ends up in real life and times, and actually meets Jane Austen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! for sharing

    ReplyDelete