Wednesday, October 20, 2010

5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth (And Other Useful Guides), by Matthew Inman

5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth (And Other Useful Guides)Ever need to learn the different types of handshakes or hugs?  Need to know the warning signs of a loved one planning to eat you?  Want to know how beer is made?  Then this is the book for you!  Matthew Inman, the mind behind The Oatmeal, had written a book with lots of standard favorites from The Oatmeal website, as well as some all new material, which has been compiled in this useful and attractive guide.  Also doubles as a drink coaster.

I am a big fan of ridiculous humor websites, and an even bigger fan of the masterminds behind the websites producing books.  So it comes as no surprise that this book literally rocked my socks off.  Seriously.  Socks....on the floor....and not my feet.  I started reading this book late one night, while sitting in bed.  Big mistake.  I was nearly choking from swallowing my laughter so as to not wake my sleeping husband.  Not that he would have minded, he is also a big fan of The Oatmeal.  I mean, who would not be.

Granted, some of the humor is maybe a little off color, a little warped, and a little obscure, but that is what makes it so darn brilliant.  It is unique and I absolutely love Inman's drawings.  That is half the fun, looking at the hysterical pictures.  This is a nice short read, I was done in a little over an hour, but a book I would gladly read again, whenever I was having a bad day, because it definitely made me laugh.  Also, it taught me the right way to spell definitely.  You will have to read it to know what that means.

A review copy of this book was made available through NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment