Saturday, August 11, 2012

Zo White and the Seven Morphs, by Barbara Silkstone

Zo White makes her living as an aerial acrobat, while seven men in morphsuits run around on the ground below her, acting as hypemen for the crowd of the Grimm Brothers Cirque.  When a tragic accident occurs during practice, it becomes clear that Zo is being targeted by a killer, and the Morphs decide to protect her.  This unlikely group gets involved in deadly situation including murder, drag queens, intrigue, turtles, mobsters, and some of the worst real estate ventures ever.  Who is behind all this deception, and more importantly, who are the men behind the morphsuits?

If you are looking for a fun read, a book that does not take itself too seriously, a story full of lighthearted comedy and heartwarming charm, then look no further.  Another book in the "Fractured Fairytales" series, this book is obviously a modern reimagining of the Snow White story.  But unlike with the Disneyfication of fairy tales, this version of Snow White is no wimp.  She is athletic, and crafty, and a total spitfire.  She would never waste her time merely singing with the birds, though she does spend quite a bit of time washing turtles.  I quite enjoyed Zo's character; she made me laugh at her antics, but more importantly, I rooted for her to have her own version of a happy ending.

Although the plot is humorous, it is also full of murder, mystery, and intrigue.  I find that, because of this, it is probably a lot closer to what fairy tales were originally intended to be.  This is obviously not a story for children, but really, neither were most of the original fairy tales.  I found the book to be quite witty, and I loved the subtle little references to many other fairy tales scattered throughout the book.  The book moves quickly, so readers need to stay on their toes.  At the end of the story, it will feel like you have been on a wild ride.  And like any ride, some will love it and some will hate it.  I went into this book looking for a flippant, slightly irreverent, funny alternative to the cookie cutter princess heroine.  And I think the book delivered just that.

I received a review copy courtesy of the author.



If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tiffany! I'm about a third of the way into Zo White right now and loving it. I couldn't agree more with your review!

    ReplyDelete