Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cliques, Hicks, and Ugly Sticks, by KC McCrite


This are a little cramped in April Grace's house.  She lives with her parents, and her snotty sister Myra Sue.  Now the neighbors, Isabella St. James and her husband, have moved in while Isabella recovers from a car accident.  And now, April Grace finds out there is going to be a new baby!  On top of the troubles at home, April finds that one of her closest friends has turned on her, and has created a new clique which ridicules April and other kids.  Growing up is never easy, but especially not for April Grace.

I just adored this book.  I found the storyline sweet and honest, and April Grace is one of the most endearing characters I have ever met.  She reminds me so much of myself as a middle schooler!  This is the second book in a series, but it does a great job filling in the back story, so I never felt lost or confused with the storyline or the cast of characters.  

The book is geared toward a middle grade reader, and I think the storylines are quite appropriate for that age group.  However, the 1980's setting will be foreign to a tween reader, more suited to adults like me who lived then.  It would either work better as a tween book set in current times, or more developed into an adult book set in the 80s.  As it is, it feels a little hit or miss with both demographics, though I personally loved the book.

This is classified as a Christian book, and while there were themes of faith and Christian messages in the book, they were not dominant, so the book can still appeal to a mainstream audience.

I received a review copy courtesy of the publisher.
    I review for BookSneeze®
If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment