Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens


Scrooge has lived his life as a skinflint, never showing charity and certainly never embodying the Christmas spirit.  As Christmas nears, Scrooge is visited by spectors of Christmas past, present, and future, to show him the error of his ways, and teach him that Christmas spirit must be held in one's heart all the days of one's life.  Will Scrooge learn this lesson in time to save himself?

This is a story with which most of us are familiar.  There are countless adaptations in the form of children's books, movies, and abridged texts, so I am quite familiar with the story.  However, I have never actually read the complete original text.  Imagine my surprise when I found such elegance and beauty in Dickens' original words.  This coming from me, someone who does not always have the greatest appreciation of Dickens.

I have always loved this story, and found the message so deeply touching.  I have so much empathy for Scrooge as a character, have suffered a lonely childhood and gone without real happiness his whole adult life.  It is nice to see the theme of redemption so clearly illustrated in this tale.  This is probably the classic Christmas story, and I imagine it will be, in some form, a permanent part of my holiday traditions.

This book is from my personal library.


If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment