Monday, July 2, 2012

Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And Other Amazing Comic Book Trivia, by Brian Cronin

Ever wonder what some of the craziest items in Batman's utility belt were, or what the heck Aquaman is good for anyway?  Want a look back at some of the ridiculous ads found in the backs of comic books? What comic book artists were lazy and stole work from other artists?  This book is a treasure trove of comic book trivia that is sure to please any comic aficionado.

I will say right off the top, I am not a comic book person.  I have nothing against them, loved the Archies comics as a kid, but never really got that into comics.  However, I had several boyfriends and friends over the years who were crazy for comic books, so I did get some exposure over the years.  As an adult, I have learned that I do really like graphic novels, and the mythology behind comic book heros, so when presented with the opportunity to review this book, I jumped at the chance.  It did not disappoint.

The thing I most like about this book is that the trivia is divided into short, topically specific lists, with different contributing authors.  I found that this really made the book flow nicely, and kept the information organized in a way that even a comic newbie would be able to follow.  While I was not completely familiar with most of the story arcs, characters, and information covered in the book, I still found it intensely interesting.  My proclamation, up completion of the book was, "I want to go read all the comics".  

I do think this book will really appeal to people interested in comics on many levels.  Novices like me will learn a ton of information, and increased interested is sure to be sparked.  Those more versed in comic book ephemera may know most of what the book covers already, but may like hearing the views of many of the artists and writers contributing to the comic industry today.  And who knows, perhaps there is a nugget or two in here that even the seasoned comic veteran never know.  All in all, a great book.

I received a review copy courtesy of the publisher.



If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment