Friday, July 20, 2012

Dumb History, by Joey Green

We look around the world and see people making really really dumb decision, but this is nothing new.  History is rife with examples of truly dumb moves, and sometimes reading about them makes you feel a little bit smarter.  Whether it is a leader taking anti aging elixers that proved to be poisonous or the ridiculous trade of Babe Ruth, this book is full of examples where people make choices that turned out to be completely boneheaded.  So, the next time you feel stupid, read this and know you are in good company.

I am a sucker for these types of trivia books.  I never seem to find them boring, and no matter how many of them I read, I always seem to find several stories that are new to me.  While some of the information covered in this book is old news for me, I still found it highly entertaining.  When I read books of this nature, I always have to wonder about the legitimacy of the facts.  There is a list of references in the back of this book, but who is going to cross check all those facts?  Not me.  Nope, I will take his word for it, and snicker as I read.

My only real complaint about this book was a slight lack of flow.  I like books that are comprised of short articles or vignettes, so that did not bother me.  What bothered me was that they were not organized.  I would have liked it better if the book had been divided into chapters, like Dumb Sports, and Dumb Leaders.  Other than that, I thought this was a cute book, one that is a good discussion piece.  Because it is comprised of all these short entries, you can easily put it down and pick it up at a later date.  It is the perfect book to keep on your coffee table or your bathroom bookshelf to keep people entertained.  

I received a review copy of the book courtesy of the publisher.



If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment