Monday, November 15, 2010

Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict, by Laurie Viera Rigler

Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict: A NovelJane Mansfield is a well bred British woman living in Regency England.  So when she wakes up in the body of Courtney Stone in the year 2009, living in L.A., she does not know what to make of this strange world around her.  On the one hand, she finds herself free of all the ridiculous constraints of femininity in the 1800s, but on the other hand, she has no idea how to survive in these modern times.  What's a prim and proper modern girl to do?

Having read and loved the first book by Laurie Viera Rigler, there was no way I was passing this book up.  And it was a wise choice.  The second of the Jane Austen Addict books was just as deliciously whimsical as the first, but I think this one had even more heart.  I found I liked the Jane character even better than the Courtney character, and while it was not quite as funny watching Jane in modern times as it was watching Courtney in the past, it was much more poignant.

I also loved the male characters, particularly Wes, and while some readers may have found him unrealistic, I found that he made me have faith in modern men again.  Having married a sweet man much like Wes, it pleases me to see such a character portrayed so well in a book.

I liked looking at my familiar world through Jane's eyes, and having it seem unfamiliar to me.  This is a hard thing to accomplish, and I think it was done quite well.  While the book did not have me rolling on the floor, there were quite a few bits that were laugh out loud funny, and the book kept me engaged from the moment I started until the moment I finished, which were about 10 hours apart.  All in all, a great book for an Austen fan, or a fan of more modern romances.

A touring review copy of this book was made available by Crazy Book Tours.

1 comment:

  1. Did she also write Lost in Austen? Sounds very much like it. I came to Austen late, but love the ones I've read: Emma, S&S, P&P, and Persuasion. Thanks for your review! :-)

    ReplyDelete