Saturday, March 30, 2013

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, by Mindy Kaling

Best know as a writer and actress on the acclaimed comedy show "The Office", Mindy Kaling lived a hilarious life well before anyone knew who she was.  In this collection of essays, she talks about being bullied because of her weight, misadventures in New York City, lifelong friendships, and her directives for her own funeral.  All wrapped up in her own signature Mindy style.

I have long been a fan of Mindy Kaling, since her first days on the "The Office".  I think she is tremendously funny, and very multifaceted.  This collection of essays proves that I am right, on both accounts.  I really loved this collection of essays.  Some are light and fluffy, others are serious and heartbreaking.  I love when Mindy opens up about how her hobby is trying new diets, and how she was bullied for her weight when she was younger.  She talks about things in an honest way.  People assume that because she is a comedy writer and actress, all aspects of her life must be recounted with hilarity.  Similarly, I think people assume because she is an Indian woman, that aspect of her being should be present, and prominently featured at all times.  I, on the contrary, love that Mindy shows that there is more to her than just being funny, or Indian, or single, or female, or Ivy League educated.  Because of this, a wide variety of people are able to connect with her writing.

Mindy writes that if this book takes you more than about a day to read, you are doing it wrong.  And I totally agree.  This is a quick, funny read, perfect for taking a break away from heavy novels or academic reading.  I loved the book, and personally hopes she writes another one.

This book is from my personal library.




If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment