Friday, October 28, 2011

A Texan's Promise, by Shelley Gray


Clayton came to the ranch when Vanessa was just a young girl.  He has watched her blossom and grow, helped her through the death of her father, and now vows to protect her from the abuse of her stepfather.  Clayton and Vanessa flee the ranch after a brutal attack by her stepfather, and head for safer territory.  On the journey, it becomes clear that in order to protest her reputation as well as her as a person, Clayton must marry Vanessa.  Can a marriage seemingly based on obligation turn out to be a marriage based on love?

I am kind of a sucker for a damsel in distress story.  They pull at my heartstrings every single time.  And it does not take long to know what Vanessa is in distress.  And Clayton, well, he is the perfect knight in shining armor.  And I love that about this story.  Clayton's character is just such a good man.  Sure, he has seen his share of horrors and evils, but he himself is just so good.  He reminds me of my husband that way. I really love that Vanessa is flawed.  She withholds truth, she is headstrong.  I think it is more believable when characters are not perfect.  I felt like the characters were so genuine, and the story was so engaging.  I often forgot the time period the story was set in, because the themes were so universal.

This is marketed as Christian fiction, and while faith does play a big part of the storyline, it is not done in an overly evangelical way.  You deal with some pretty heavy topics, abuse, suicide, adultery, alcoholism, so it is nice to have a little bit of faith sprinkled in to pull you through some of the darker issues.  All in all, I thought this was a good book, even suitable for young adults to read.

I received a review copy courtesy of the publisher.




If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment