Monday, June 6, 2011

Don't Breathe a Word, by Jennifer McMahon

Don't Breathe a Word: A NovelWhen they were children, Sam's sister Lisa disappeared.  She told everyone she was crossing over to the world of the fairies, and would meet the Fairy King.  Everyone figured she was kidnapped, or worse.  Fifteen years later, odd things begin happening to indicate Lisa was returning to her family.  But the more Sam and his girlfriend Phoebe get involved in uncovering Lisa's whereabouts, the more bizarre the situation becomes.  What really happened to Lisa, and do faeries really exist?

It is rare that I judge a book by its cover, but I could not help but be spellbound by the cover of this book.  The cover is what made me read this book, and the story was equally spellbinding.  In terms of the storyline, I thought the book was incredible, with the possibility of a magical fairy world always looming, but being more sinister than we know.  It reminded me a lot of Tyger, Tyger, but I liked this book so much better.  I felt the back story was told much better, and while suspenseful, not at all confusing.

I loved the way the narrative switched with each chapter, so that both the stories of Lisa's childhood and the present unfolded simultaneously.  It was like watching two mysteries unfold into one giant reveal at the end.  Only, at the end, you are still not sure what you believe.

The book was the kind that I could not put down.  It was not a challenging read, and before I would realize it, I had read 80 pages.  I just could not stop until I learned the truth.  And I love that we are never quite certain what the truth actually is.  While aimed at adults, the paranormal themes may also appeal to high school readers.  And while some themes are a little dark, there is really nothing graphic that would make it unsuitable for that audience.  All in all, a great book, one that I can see myself reading more than once.



I received this book for review as part of the Amazon Vine program.




If you found this review useful, please vote it, and my other reviews, as helpful on my Amazon profile here.

No comments:

Post a Comment