Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tyger Tyger, by Kersten Hamilton

Tyger Tyger: A Goblin Wars BookTeagan is completely focused.  She does well in school, has a good job working at the zoo, and is determined to get a scholarship.  Nothing will deter her, she has a plan.  But when Finn comes to stay with her family, everything changes.  Before she knows it, her family suffers tragedy, and she starts seeing strange things all around her.  Suddenly, a world she thought only existed in the Irish old world tales her Mother told her is exploding all around her.  Teagan's world is overrun- with goblins.

As I read this book, my initial reaction was that I was not liking the book.  In fact, for the first half of the book, I felt the book was too dark, and confusing for someone not well versed in Celtic folklore.  But something pushed me to keep looking deeper into this book.  I can only assume that something is magic, because there is certainly something magical about this book.

As a young adult book, I liken this book to The Bridge to Terebithia.  The themes are certainly a little dark, but there is beauty and light to be found in that darkness.  The world that Kersten Hamilton creates in Mag Mell is simply stunning, and in fact makes me want to learn more about Celtic lore.  I love Teagan and Finn's characters, and the connections they share.  I also love all the literary references in the book.

In the end, I am really glad I stuck with this book, I think it has something really special to offer.  I am excited to see what else may be in store with the Goblin Wars books in the future.  This book is set to release in November.

A review copy of this book was provided courtesy of NetGalley.

1 comment: